Thursday, January 8, 2009

Blizzard, why are you trying to make me hate you

Ah, My most anticipated games of 2009 StarCraft II, and Diablo III; unfortunately blizzard keeps on skipping about like some acid filled procrastinator suffering from "ADD" (a fake disease I know), as you know from previous post I am caught in their "web of deviousness" in which the slowly every month or so they release tiny tidbits of information on their two big titles to cause addiction even prior to launch. This is probably because if they actually showed the games they would immediately lose all interest, because frankly: they are doing horrible things to these great series;
the web of deviousness

Well most notably Diablo. Some information has come to my attention recently (last month), first and received with the most rage is the fact that Starcraft's single player campaign will be released in three parts; now the campaign was the best part of Starcraft in my opinion, it would be raciest and incorrect to say only Koreans like the multilayer version of Starcraft, but let's run with that. With this announcement and blizzard touting their new game's game play and multi-player rather than the story this implies that blizzard is making an eventual shift to total online play(so it's not just milking us for money people), which for a misanthrope such as myself this is not good. Admittedly this is a good choice for blizzard economically, as they have traditionally built popularity through Battlenet; but I have never liked playing with anyone who I would not invite into my home or onto my LAN.

Just like Starcraft, Diablo is being effected by blizzard wild swing towards total online supremacy. now from my interpretation Diablo seems to be still geared as a single player game, but they are still trying to recreate the battlenet sensation that was Diablo II, personally I was still more fond of the single player experience of Diablo 2 but the online play was adequate, primarily because It was basically the same game with very few changes and with the "story" intact, diablo primaraly suceeded because unlike starcraft it did not depend on it's story as a motivator, admittedly the Diablo mythos is very interesting, but it does not attract you to the game. Yet again though I still have to say that I prefer LAN with a select few people. But other than this I have a few complaints about announced gameplay features (as always); first of all the giant glowing health orbs, where in all the diablo story, or any sword and sorcery do you get the Idea of giant-floating-glowing-orbs-of-magical-instant-healing, Bah! I suppose it may aleave some of the "my hand got carpal tunnel so I couldn't click the potion buttion the twenty times per second to survive this encounter moments" moments. Then there is the "you can't pick your skills" Feature of the game, you know some guy (probably with an evil mustach) was maniacly laughing his *ss off.
the blizzard employee responsible

oh, but fear not, according to blizzard you can now modify the abilities the game hands you; C'mon you know thats a half *ss*d excuse for such a stupid (or nefarious, you pick) plan, what in exchange for our freedom you give us the oportunity to change our spells radius. oh and then there are other misculanious things ment purely for the online portion of the game.

S in short you can see that I am getting fed up with blizzard and it's new actions, all I can say is: I hope it's not to bad (of course I'm saying the same thing about Obama).